Sunday 9 August 2015

"Hopeful Reality"

The general rule of thumb of football
Is that you love your team...
But generally have been sold a pup.
Real success is somewhat fleeting
The odd title or maybe a cup.
I'm not one for public statements
Such a weight on your shoulder
But I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime
Shouting something never bolder.
One swallow doesn't make a summer
It was only the first game today
But I'm going to stick my neck out
We'll be Isthmian League champions by May.
It wasn't easy at the beginning
But I backed Gavin from Day One
Other fans might have wavered
I could see what was being done.
The changearound has been amazing
Beyond my wildest dream
My heart is full of hope and expectation
Even though I might not beam.
For that you cannot blame me
Look, I've got no front teeth
But right here deep inside
I'm bursting with belief.
I've supported The Hamlet for over four decades
And my dream has always been to finish first
But I'm such a 'natural born pessimist'
I always fear the worst.
More often than not it's a struggle
The football nothing more than dire
Now under the leadership of Gavin Rose
My expectation's never been higher.
It's not something that I'm used to
Got to keep it all in check
I'd hate our fans to become arrogant
Needing to wind in that neck.
My mantra's always "Don't worry about others"
Just take it one game at a time
Please forgive me if I get prematurely excited
Wanting to win the League's not a crime.
It's not been done in my generation 
The last time was Forty Nine
After many decades of waiting
It is our time to shine.

Dulwich Poet 9th August 2015

(I'm usually quite pessimistic, or realistic if you like. This season I genuinely believe (whisper it!) that Dulwich Hamlet ARE capable of winning the Isthmian League title...I have done this one the day after our first match of season, we beat Canvey Island 3-0 at home. )

No comments:

Post a Comment