Monday 30 May 2016

"Tranquility"

Don't believe in the mumbo jumbo
But here I am sat in a church
Hiding from the Hamburg heat
Resting on a wooden perch.
A little bit of escapism
Rather than coming in to pray
An altogether calming spot
Trying to keep bad thoughts at bay.
Whatever happens happens
Down to that karma called fate
Putting your trust in that chap called god
I simply can't relate.
I can hear the bells ringing
Is it for me they toll?
Perhaps there's really not a future
No way out of my hole.
At the moment I feel quite positive
About sorting out my life
That despite the decades old rut
Of being troubled & full of strife.
I wonder how many people right now
On other benches in this church
Have no beliefs bar escapism
Taking time out being in the lurch?
Who knows what the future holds
It can only go right or wrong
And if that wrong means I've had enough
At least I'll be 'immortalised' in song.
Remembered for a one minute silence
Then my chants for that Warhol fame
After fifteen minutes I'll be forgotten
As your thoughts turn back to the game.

Dulwich Poet 30th May 2016

( I wrote this sat in a church in Hamburg. It was warm outside, but the coolness inside this large stone building was really refreshing. I have to find a new place to live by mid-September, and it was weighing on my mind when I wrote this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment