Tuesday 21 March 2017

"Is It For Me?"

Today is just so ordinary
But it's supposed to be special for me
Apparently it's 'World Poetry Day'
So I should be full of glee.
If you hadn't mentioned it on Facebook
It would have passed me by
But now you've gone and told me
I've got to give a poem a try.
So now I'm having a scribble
On the train to an Open Mic
Pretending to be jolly
About something I don't like.
Yes, I love my poetry
It's just me playing with rhyme
But it's the manufactured celebration
For which I don't have time.
Online greetings from mates
Who think I might actually care
World fucking Poetry Day
Means nothing to me, I swear.
Perhaps today's not for me
Because it's my hobby not an art
Even thought it's something I love to do
And have taken to my heart.
I write to clear my head
Scribble to keep me sane
It helps me stay calm inside
Banishing mental pain.
But it can also be a celebration
Recording moments of joy
Or re-kindling lost moments
Of when I was a little boy.
I'm off to 'Poetry Unplugged' now
Not to celebrate...
These 'special day' labels
Are things I tend to hate.
In truth I'm here because I'm lazy
To chill and sit on my arse
Listening to and reading poetry
As the evening ticks on past.
Poetry means so many things
From our different walks of life
Helping us through  the good days
As well as times of strife.
So even if it's not my thing
Perhaps it's time for me to say
No matter where you're from or what you write
Have a happy World Poetry Day.

Dulwich Poet 21st March 2017

(It was World Poetry Day today, I didn't even realise until a few mates started messaging me greetings on Facebook!)

No comments:

Post a Comment