Thursday 18 May 2017

"I'm Sorry"

We call it English humour
Don't mention the War!
Making you apologise for it
I think you know the score.
Now it's my time to apologise
I'm sorry though I voted YES
I'm not one of those Brexiteers
Who put us in this mess!
That bastard Nigel Farage
As posh and rich as they come
Pretending he was Mr. Ordinary
While banging his racist drum.
Gullible people taken in
"I'm not racist but..."
Conned by the mantra of reversing
Every National Health Service cut.
Still, it could be worse
At least we're taking our country back
There's far too many foreigners
We're under attack!
We need to stand up for the British
Charity begins at home
Who cares about everyone else
It's time to stand alone.
I'm so proud to be British
As I drive my German car
And sit in my English pub
Drinking Belgian beer at the bar.
Served by a Polish barmaid
Then throw up on the floor
Mopped up by a Hungarian cleaner
As I stagger out the door.
Then I'll have a punch up
When I'm in a drunken state
Patched up by doctors and nurses
Who are all foreigners I hate.
Go home and eat Italian pizza
Maybe a bottle of French wine
Or washed down with a Bavarian beer
Drunk from a tourist stein.
Perhaps I'll make a sandwich
Filled with delicious Dutch cheese
Or some spicy salami from Spain
If that's what I please.
You see...we don't want you
But we'll take what you've got
Now you're being awkward
Putting us in a spot.
We want to leave your 'club'
How dare you not want to trade
And then you want to charge us
Expecting to get paid!
We shall sing 'Rule Britannia'
God bless Her Majesty the Queen
Don't you realise we're the greatest little island
The world has ever seen?
In truth I'm scared of the future
Who cares about the War?
Although when it comes to 1966
I'm happy to mention the score.
I shouldn't really be sorry
For I'm not the one to blame
But my country voted for Brexit
And I hold my head in shame.

Dulwich Poet 18th May 2017

(I wrote this in case I find a poetry Open Mic type night during my forthcoming trip to Hamburg, also to put into the first issue of a new small, free fanzine I am thinking of starting...)

No comments:

Post a Comment