Wednesday 26 September 2018

"Taking Sides"

I'm off out tonight
Going to see one of the Cray's
Yes I know they're brown bread
Not having one of those days.
Not talking about East End villians
Not spelt with a 'K'
I'm referring to Cray Wanderers
Who I'm going to watch play.
I'm talking Bostik League football
Division One South East
Their match against Whyteleafe
Is this evening's chosen feast.
Cray are top of the table
Winning six out of six
Soon to be in 'Seventh Heaven'
For my Wednesday football fix.
Admission a tenner
Programme two quid more
Not to mention a couple of golden goal tickets
As I come through the door.
So far it's been tasty
Decent end to end stuff
Been niggly rather than physical
Not deliberately rough.
The Leafe took the lead early
Before The Wands quickly hit back
Second half just starting
To keep title hopes on track.
Early doors a cheer
Leafe think it's in the bag
Celebrations cut short
By the Lino's offside flag.
Even though I'm neutral 
I want a Wanderers win
Never forgotten Leafe digs at Dulwich
Which wore a little thin.
Mutter as much as they like 
I pity those up their end
Barely a dozen middle-aged blokes
Probably stood with their only friend.
A home player gets fouled
'Get up you faggot!' you shout
Is it any wonder
You've hardly any fans about?
I'm here as a neutral
The score shouldn't matter at all
But since some of you have always had pops at Dulwich
"Come on Cray Wanderers" is my call.

Dulwich Poet 26th September 2018

 (Just me wittering on about going to watch another game tonight: Cray Wanderers versus Whyteleafe)

No comments:

Post a Comment