Wednesday 7 October 2015

"Double Bubble"

I'm off to South Park tonight
Heading there with my mate Finn
For a sad old git like me
It's what I call a "win-win".
An awkward one to get to
Which is why I've not done this local 'tick',
Now I've got company
It's an excuse for this being my pick.
For I love hanging around Finn
Even though he's sadly straight
He makes me smile and happy
Even though he's just a mate.
All those things I'd love to do
I fantasise in my head
Not that I'd go any further
His mum would have me for dead!
Truth is I'm a lonely old git
With a very low self-esteem
I enjoy and trust his company
And what's the harm in a dream?
He actually makes me sad 
He's everything that I'm not
Young, beautiful, ambitious, talented
While my life's gone to pot.
Other might laugh at me
Thinking I'm really sad
It's not my fault I fancy him
I hate making him feel bad.
Truth is nothing would ever happen
If that chance came I'd say NO
For the silly softie that I am
I'd hate for our friendship to go.
By rights we shouldn't be mates
The generation gap's so wide
That's what makes Dulwich Hamlet so special
Young and old side by side.
I really am honoured
For young Finn to be a mate
Hopefully he'll never be scared off
By my constant dreams of him being a date!

Dulwich Poet 9th October 2015

(This wasn't the poem I expected it to be! I went to a game with a young mate of mine, where a team he coaches with was the away side, and I hadn't been there before, so that was my 'excuse' !  ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment