Thursday 8 October 2015

"Facebook Challenge"

What a way to celebrate
Stuck in a traffic jam
But as long as we win tonight
I really don't give a damn.
So if we've not played the game yet
What is there to celebrate...
Does today mean nothing to you
Well go and check the date.
For Thursday 8th October
Is 'National Poetry Day'
Not sure if I qualify as a poet
But I'm still gonna rhyme and say-
I've fallen in love with poetry
Even though I don't love myself
It's helped me keep my sanity
Though I'm supposed to be in good mental health.
I don't know where my poems will take me
Just like life in the real world
But at least it generally stops dark thoughts
From deep in my head being unfurled.
When I decide to read and share one
It's always a sense of relief
I still find it a struggle
To accept people have belief.
I guess I do sort of OK
Most times I step on a stage
Even though I get taken for an angry poet
Who likes to read, rant and rage.
Not all of my poems are for sharing
In reality just a select few
Now that I've got used to it
It's something I like and do.
I believe it's made me a better person
Giving me confidence and self-belief
If you think that's bullshit though
I'm not going to have a beef.
For I know it's made me stronger
Doesn't matter how you feel
I know what poetry's done for me
And I'm telling you what's real.
There's some who don't think I should be poet
It for the middle-class up-their-arse
But the more I got into it
The more I let that pass.
Anyone can pick up some paper
Put a cheap biro in their hand
Deep down we can all write poetry
So don't bury your head in the sand.
Truth is there's no rules to poetry
There's no rhyme or reason
You can do it on the beach one lazy summer
Or on a coach in the football season.
Poetry's like your cock
It can be long, short or inbetween
Poetry's not just for rich posh schoolboys
Also for us Council Estates geerzers without a bean.
I don't know if you like experiments
But please try this for me
As soon as you've finished reading this
Try writing a poem for me!

HAPPY POETRY DAY!

Dulwich Poet 8th October 2015

(Thursday 8th October was 'National Poetry Day'. I wrote this on the coach down to Margate, on the way to watch the Youth Team. I had no idea what  was going to write, but finished it off, by deciding to post it on Facebook, to see if-very unlikely!-anyone will respond.)

No comments:

Post a Comment