Thursday 1 June 2017

"It ain't Typhoo"

I'm not sure what I'm doing here
In a venue that's really naff
It makes poncy Shoreditch places
Look like a greasy spoon café.
A poetry night in a venue
That's dedicated to tea
I don't even drink the stuff
And it's not proper like PG.
I'm too scared to ask for the menu
Darjeeling's posh to me
All I want is a Pepsi
Instead of a cup of tea.
In the corner's an old Joanna
Like an Old Skool London boozer
This room's a million miles from that
But a beggar can't be a chooser.
All I want to do is read poems
Have I got the nerve
I'm tempted to do an about turn
And give tonight a swerve.
Perhaps I'll settle down
Once the poetry kicks in
Ignoring my pre-conceptions
Chucking them in the bin.
Truth is I really can't help it
Whenever I open my gob
Deep down I love it
Proud to be a poetry wanker
Working class snob!

Dulwich Poet 1st June 2017

I was in Glasgow, and went to a poetry Open Mic, at a place called the Tchain Ovna Tearoom, in the West End of Glasgow. Not quite what I'm used to...to say the least! It's certainly the only time in my life that I've drank a can of  organic cola from South America!)

No comments:

Post a Comment