Sunday 4 June 2017

"It's all Academic"

I've been all over with football
Seen some shitholes in my time
Why the fuck does Hamilton exist
It's a total crime.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover
But I do it with a place
I'm staring at Hamilton Bus Station
I know I've got a case.
The best thing was popping into Sainsbury's
Could pretend I was back home
Worst was going in to the centre
Deciding to have a roam.
It was a quiet Sunday evening
All the shops were shut
Even though I don't drink
I wish I was half cut.
All over the place
'P.R.' posters galore
Saying 'There's heart in Hamilton'
Sorry, I won't be back for sure!
Streets littered with shopping trolleys
Rather than paved with gold
Houses for less than a hundred grand
In estate agents unsold.
I was only here for a couple of hours
Am I too harsh and picky?
When I get back home to my London
I'll search Hamilton on Wiki
But I think my judgement's right
After my quick look around
Absolutely no desire to return
Now I've ticked the Accies football ground.

Dulwich Poet 4th June 2017

(I saw a match at New Douglas Park, the Accies womens team were at home. I made the 'mistake' of deciding to have a look at the area, rather than get a train back to Glasgow...)

No comments:

Post a Comment