Saturday 22 July 2017

"Poetry"

What is this thing called 'poetry'
That we all know and love
It's just one fucking word after another
When a push comes to a shove.
Poetry's such a scary word
You say "it's not for me"
Pick up a pen and paper
You'll be surprised at what you see.
A tale develops on the page
Emerging from inside your head
Go on...just for yourself
It doesn't have to be shared or read.
And even though it's my style
It doesn't have to rhyme
Jumble it up at random
You'll be doing fine.
Poetry's what I do for fun
Poetry keeps me sane
Though straining for the right word
Can be a bit of a pain!
It's surrounded by snobbery
Not something that's working class
Go pick up a cheap biro
And that misconception will pass.
Anyone can write
There's nothing to fear
Sit in the corner of a pub
And try it nursing a beer.
You might get an odd strange look
As if you're a nutter on a bus
The reality of it is
No-one will make a fuss.
So if you gone and read this
Put pen to paper and write
Let's have working class bards all over Facebook
What a fucking sight!


Dulwich Poet 22nd July 2017


(I enjoy sharing some of my poems on Facebook, I'd love more of my mates to do so)







No comments:

Post a Comment