Sunday 29 October 2017

"Aimless in Budapest"

It's eight o'clock Sunday morning
I'm travelling on a tram
No idea where it's going
Couldn't give a damn.
I'm a  poor tourist
No plan for when it starts to pour
Other than riding public transport
Too wet to really explore.
Trying to look out of the window
Steamed up and covered with rain
I'm supposed to be normal
Surely there's something wrong with my brain!
I'll sit here til we reach the 'mystery destination'
See what's the last stop on the line
Once this blasted rain stops
Everything will be fine.
All I really want to do
Is wander aimlessly round the streets
To be honest ending up at Szell Kalmon Ter
Wasn't going to be one of my treats.
Not much here to snap
It's just far too wet
Fortunately there's a Metro station
So underground I'm going to get.
There's a stop I've been eyeing
Captivated by them name
'Puskas Ferenc Stadion' it's called
After the greatest in the game.
How can I resist that
Pissing down or not
My only regret now is the weather
Wishing it was sunny and hot.
Except...riding up the escalator
My cheap brolly blown apart
Turn toward the stadium
I'm such a stupid fart.
For it's long since flattened
Just a building site
There'd still be nothing to see
If it was dry and bright.
I really should have known this
But a least it's my 'secret' mistake
Pretending to be a football grounds expert
No-one will know I'm a fake!

Dulwich Poet 29th October 2017

(On holiday in Budapest, there was heavy rain, and I was just sitting on buses and train going round the city. I got off at the stadiom named after Ferenc Puskas, hoping there might be a statue or something outside. Instead there was nothing...it's been demolished..and isn't sue to be completed until 2019 at the least! D'oh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment