Monday 29 January 2018

"Wibbandune"

The constant hum
Of commuter traffic
Going one way
Or the other
To somewhere
Or nowhere
Along the A3
Completely oblivious
To the fact
That on the left
Or right
Depending on direction
It's 3rd v. 2nd
In the CoCo.
You'd be a clown
To miss it.
Only problem is
This is bottom of the table
Bog standard
Step Five fare
For maybe a score
In expenses.
Hence the dash
For those passers-by
To drive home
For over-paid
Over-rated
Multi-millionaire
Prima-donna
RUBBISH
is on the box
To satisfy
The armchair brigade
Sat behind their steering wheels.
I can stretch my legs
Resting on the backs
Of seats in front.
Not a soul to bother
As there's only one bloke sat
Much further along
This one hundred and two seater stand
Only two seats taken.
Maybe thirty hardy souls
On the Club House side
And half a dozen more
Out in the elements
The hardy ones
In winter coats
Hugging the rail.
I don't come here
For a classic
No video refs
Just a down to earth
Honest one
At level nine
Who will still get abused
For his troubles
In the minds of managers
And hardened players
Themselves as bent
As a nine bob note.
This is my therapy
This is my escape
Writing poetry
And watching football.
A million and one things
Going through my head
But not right now
As I try to push aside
The harsh reality
Of my existence
And a future
I dare not contemplate
The only way I can.
Too scared to look back in anger
And far too scared
To contemplate the future.
So this is where I am.
Alone
At Colliers Wood United FC.

Dulwich Poet 29th January 2018

(Wibbandune is the home of Combined Counties League Premier Division side Colliers Wood United. I wrote this during their home game against Godalming Town)

No comments:

Post a Comment