Thursday 7 June 2018

"Germany Calling!"

Can't believe it's happening
I'm going to be Altona bound
Gonna to be such a special moment
When my plane takes off the ground.
Got the ok from the doctors
Oral antibiotics next week
My wound and toe's not yet healed
But the future's not so bleak.
This trip would mean the world to me
My Dulwich Hamlet holy grail
Not entirely sure how I'd coped 
If it was all to no avail.
By that I mean not going
Selfish, I know you'll say
But what's kept my sanity over the last season
Is anticipating The Hamlet and Altona play.
A once in a lifetime opportunity
Genuine fusion of football friends
That's why it was so vital
To see that my big toe mends.
To say that I am buzzing
Given the clearance to go
Means more than anything to me
More than you will ever know.
A  huge cloud has been lifted
Inside tranquil and calm
For weeks I've being doing my nut in
Internally living on a funny farm.
That's the problem with me
Outside I look 'normal' at best
Inside I'm top of the waiting list
For "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".
Gonna step back after this tour
Taken so much to achieve
Dream realised by help from so many others
Who had the faith in me to believe.
Six years on the Committee
It was time for me to step down
I know this trip's ultimately due to me
Despite some new-veau's thinking I'm a clown.
I've never done what I do for popularity
Or to receive pats on the back
I don't want to be immortalised
On a soon to be forgotten plaque.
It's simply for the love
Of my little Football Club
And partly as a penance
For all those years wasted down the pub.
This tour would NEVER have happened
Without my determination and drive
It will be one of those genuinely rare moments in my life
When I'm so glad to be alive.

Dulwich Poet 7th June 2018

( I wrote this after finding out I can travel to Germany to see the 125th anniversary tour for Dulwich Hamlet, culminating with a special match against Altona 93)






No comments:

Post a Comment