Wednesday 13 June 2018

"Mates"

He's never shy of work
Going for a job
Not afraid of graft
To earn a few bob.
You hear about youngsters
The lazy and feckless git
Dossing in bed all day
Never giving a shit.
Stereotype dealing in drugs
To make extra dosh
Running with nasty gangs
When life's got you under the cosh.
Carry knives and guns
To prove you're a man
All of those false assumptions
Ain't in this young man's plan.
Turning his hand to anything
A bit of this and that
Mending bicycles down the market
Cooking Thai food
Slaving over hot fat.
Paying out of his own pocket
For his coaching qualification
Such a positive attitude
A role model for the nation.
Any bit of adversity
Doesn't get him down
Keeping his above water
Instead of giving up to drown.
Every knock he faces
He picks himself up again
I've got so much respect for him
Which I'm doing through my pen.
He's going on a journey
One that's only just begun
When he gets to the top of his profession
What a tale to be spun!
I've no doubt one day he'll make it
A top football coach
One that becomes so good
Everyone will want to poach.
He's also my inspiration
Outwardly full of hope
My sort of safety valve
When I'm struggling to cope.
Having time to help
If I'm in a bit of a mess
Keeping a confidentiality
If I've got something to confess.
I really do love him
But in a weird sort of way
I wouldn't even touch him
If he was the slightest bit gay.
It's such a weird friendship
A huge generation gap
I can even forgive him
For constantly playing rap.
I wish I could thank him
With a little peck on the cheek
In the way your Europeans do
Every day of the week.
A manly British hug
But I'm too scared to be affectionate that way
Scared it'll ruin our close bond
And he'll think I'm making a play.
He's out on the road right now
Taking an Argos driving test
Pass or fail at that
For me he's still the best. 
Not just someone who knows me
They'd be an acquaintance not a friend
When I'm broken inside
He knows how to help me mend.
Not sure if he realises
I don't have many muckers
Loneliness can be hard for me
One of life's 'Bill-No-Mates' old fuckers.
Sometimes I can't get my words out
I struggle to speak from the heart
In truth my social skills are rubbish
I don't know where to start.
It's easier through my poetry
Expressing what I mean
So this is what I'm doing
To a friend who's still a teen.
You've got me through a tough time
When i didn't know what to do
So if ever you need to talk
I hope I'm there for you.
Not sure if you'll like this piece
It might end up in the bin
No matter, what I'm trying to say
Is thanks for everything, Finn!

Dulwich Poet 13th June 2018

(I have a bit of a struggle mentally really, and a young mate from football has been there to help...I didn't know how to express it properly, so wrote this poem for him. Fortunately he seemed to like it when I gave it to him...)


No comments:

Post a Comment