Monday 12 January 2015

"Bit of a Charlie"

The whole world says "Je Suis Charlie"
But sorry I am not
Please bear with me
I haven't lost the plot.
There's no way I'm defending the gunmen
The lowest of the low
But going marching on the streets
What does it really show?
The politicians at the front for the cameras
Linked together arm-in-arm
The power of a big march
Turning on the grieving charm.
The power of the millions
Marching on the street
Surely the masses will be listened to
Turning on the heat.
Oh such selective memories
What about when we marched to Stop The War?
Or working class communities
Fighting Tory attacks on the poor?
As for Monsieur Je Suis Charlie
Well I don't mean to be cruel
But he really was a provocative plank
Being such a fool.
The pen might be mightier than the sword
But it can't compete with a gun
No matter how outrageous this slaughter
He's to blame for what's been done.
I'm NOT condoning murder
Or any others attacked
But for a so-called clever journalist
It was basic common sense he lacked.
I've got not truck with Islam
In fact no religions at all
But his lack of that common sense
Was enough to appaul.
I don't pretend to understand the Koran
Or any other religious book
But even I know what's a 'no-no'
Though I've not had a look.
Some insults you should never do
Like draw that prophet's face
I know you didn't deserve to die for it
But your stupidity was a disgrace.
If it was only you in danger
Maybe that wouldn't have been so bad
But with all those others murdered
It's an understatement to call you a cad.
While I won't make excuses for Paris outrages
Truth is Charlie you were a a fool
In fact Charlie you were a 'charlie'
A complete and utter tool!

Dulwich Poet 12th January 2015

(This is about the huge demonstrations against the terrorist killings in France. Whilst I support them, and am totally against the killings, part of me feels that it's hypocritical of our main Western leaders to support some marches, after they &/or their predicessors ignored similar huge ones, against Wars in the past. And I am also not entirely happy with the 'sympathy' for the cartoonist, who should be able to draw the prophet Mohammed, in an 'ideal world', what that may mean, but basic common sense tells you it is offensive not just to 'ordinary muslims' to do so, but will, and indeed was, the proverbial 'red rag to a bull' to the terrorists)

No comments:

Post a Comment