Sunday 18 January 2015

"Eternity"

Have you ever
Thought about
Living forever?
Well it ain't
Gonna happen!
Unless....
You're The Beatles
Perhaps as...
Not sure about them
It's 50/50 really.
Forever?
Who else?
Maybe The Invincibles
Arsene Wenger's boys?
Then there is
Jesus Christ himself.
Though even he
Popped his clogs
For three days.
You know what-
Maybe I don't want
To live forever
After all.
And once I'm gone
There's not much
To remember me by.
I'll soon be forgotten
On the Champion Hill terraces.
A groundhopper
Once called me
"The Doyen of Dulwich"
I realised I wasn't
Once I'd looked up
Doyen in the dictionary.
If I really do want
My name to live forever
Maybe I should just
Cheat a little bit
And change my name
By deed poll
To Edgar Kail.
And if you don't know
Who he is:
Shame on you!
Haven't you heard of Google?

Dulwich Poet 18th January 2015

( I saw a poem about living forever in a poetry magazine I was flicking through in the 'Poetry Library' earlier. So I scribbled this down...)

No comments:

Post a Comment