Wednesday 24 February 2016

"Careful What You Wish For..."

Refugees Welcome
You really are a star
But ask yourself a question
Do you really know who they are?
I'm not talking about terrorists
They get in no matter what
But how do you reconcile your politics
With the beliefs many have got?
I'm no fan of religions
But even mild Muslim seems extreme
Their views on gays and women
Seem like a bad dream.
Even right-wing reactionaries
Such as the Catholic Church
Wouldn't dare support a punishment
That was stoning to death or the birch.
I'm not saying all shouldn't be welcome
Not by a long chalk
But how do YOU reconcile your caring beliefs
With their hate-filled talk?
I've no easy answer
But I know my left from right
And some of these religious beliefs
May as well be Nazi-lite.
I class myself as a leftie
Proud to be a red
But I simply can't share a platform
With those who want me dead.

Dulwich Poet 24 February 2016

(Walking through Hamburg I saw a parked van with a 'Refugees Welcome' scarf on the dashboard. I support their plight...but part of me has a problem with the religious ideology of parts of the world that they flee flom..and thus, bring over here. Irrational, maybe...but I do not feel comfortable inside on demonstrations, like 'Stop The War' for ecample, marching with religious people, be that Catholic or Muslim...who, despite being 'caring' are still anti-gay, discriminate against women, and so on..)

No comments:

Post a Comment