Wednesday 24 February 2016

"Thomas Flynn"

I'm not one for names and faces
Forget who I met last week
As for someone I went to school with
Never been a memory geek.
Over thirty years since I left school
And we're at the same football game
You've got an 'excuse' watching your son
I've only got Dulwich Hamlet to blame!
You said you had a thing for faces
As we exchanged small chat
I didn't say what I really wanted 
Just rabbited about this and that.
Turns out we really don't know anyone
From our days back in school
There was a person I wanted to ask about
But didn't want to look a fool.
Do you remember a boy called Colin Deary
I still think about him a lot
I was such a scared guilt ridden poof 
He was the only fumble I got. 
We used to stay over 
And had fun for a few years
It was more naive touching
Because of my sad sexual fears.
I often think about him
Wonder how his life turned out
Did he grow up straight like you
Or was there always some doubt?
He told me he messed about with you
Which is how I remember your name
Did you see as part of growing up
Or were you riddled with shame?
I wish I'd been more open 
So scared when I was at school
Not helped by my reputation
When you all thought I was a tool.
If only I'd been more adventurous
We could have had a play
Knowing what I do now
There's no shame in being gay.

Dulwich Poet 24th February 2016

( I was watching our Youth Team a few weeks ago, and one of the 'fans' supporting the away side recognised from school over 30 years ago, his son was playing for the opposition...this is about him, and one of my mates at school...)

No comments:

Post a Comment