Sunday 6 August 2017

"Down by the Riverside"

It's been such a long day
On my way from a game
I decided to go walkies
Only myself to blame.
I could've been back at the station
For the five nineteen
But at one stage this evening...
Well I've got to come clean.
I thought I wouldn't get home
If it started to get dark
I envisaged dossing
In a local park.
Rather than jump on that train
I strolled along the River Lea
I thought I knew where I was going
Same old stupid me.
The path took some sort of diversion
No signs around
Right there in front of me
Was a caravan and camping ground.
I tried to get back on course
Checking left and right
I knew I wasn't far from Broxbourne
But no markers in sight.
Heading down an overgrown footpath
Hoping it was approximately going my way
And now my plates were hurting
For this walk I'd start to pay.
I crossed over a railway line
But no path by the train
I seriously considered turning back
Despite my growing pain.
I came to a smaller river
Thankfully a local walked past
He pointed me in the right direction
I'm heading home at last!
I kept to the path by the water
And there it was like he said
I really couldn't believe
Tonight I'll sleep in my bed.
I never thought I'd say this
But there's no more beautiful sight
Than spying Broxbourne station
Just as dusk turns into night!

Dulwich Poet 6th August 2017

(Yesterday I was in Hertfordshire, to watch a game of football. Instead of getting a train straight back I thought it would be nice to walk along a bit of the River Lea & pick up a train a couple of stops down the line...thankfully I made it, but got a little lost on the way...)

No comments:

Post a Comment