Tuesday 15 August 2017

"Walk On"

I've never learned to drive
So don't own a car
Train ,bus or Shanks' Pony
Travelling near or far.
I'm not getting any younger
Body falling apart
Soon I'll be on my way to the cemetery
Coffin chucked on a horse and cart.
But before that happens
I'm scared of a living hell
Not being able to walk anywhere
I'd rather be in a padded cell.
Happy to stroll all over
Whether it's one mile or ten
But my tootsies are playing up
Frightened I won't walk again.
Paranoia creeping in
Scared they'll chop off my big toe
If that ever happened
It would be the final blow.
I don't think I'd manage
Certain I'd never cope
If I couldn't stroll about town
I'd give up all hope.
That's the way my mind works
Even though I'm 'sane'
If they chopped my toes off
I'd hop in front of a train.
I went to the Foot Clinic early
Shitting myself nervous as fuck
Certain they'd send me to hospital
Which would just be my luck.
Instead the nurse scalpeled the crap
Checked out my bruised infected toe
It certainly wasn't perfect
But it had some way to go.
It needs a bit of resting
Me to take more care
My big toe may be a little mashed up
But at least it's still there.


Dulwich Poet 15th August 2017


( I have an on-going problem with my foot. It's mainly the big toe, and recently it was badly bruised, so I went to my local Foot Clinic earlier than my scheduled appointment. Unsurprisingly it's not as bad as I feared...my on-going nightmare is amputation, which HAS happened to a few mates of mine, who have had toes chopped off!)

No comments:

Post a Comment