Wednesday 20 December 2017

"Bah Humbug & Proud!"

In truth I don’t like Christmas
How I hate this time of year
Just want the whole bloody thing over
Never had much cheer.
Go ahead and enjoy it
Just accept it’s not for me
I’m actually quite proud of the fact
I’ve never had a Christmas tree.
You say: “Come on smile, it’s Christmas”
Ask  where’s that happiness and cheer
I prefer less of that right now
If you could spread it round all year.
How many people are there out there
With this forced jollity unable to cope
The only way they are able to do so
Is hanging in a noose on a rope?
In a way I am lucky
I can go to family for free food
No cards or presents delivered
It just me and not deliberately rude.
I’m not going to go totally skint
Spending money I haven’t got
Just because I’m playing Mr. Scrooge
Doesn’t mean I’m not happy with my lot.
Dinner at my sisters
Loads of meat & spuds on my plate
And already being a fat bastard
It don’t matter if I put on weight.
But I’d be just as content
In my rented room only me
Snacking away on junk food
Watching a library DVD.
In truth I only want one thing for Christmas
Seeing my team win on Boxing Day
Three points off the Thugs & Muggers keeping me going
Until the season ends in May.
I’m equally at ease home alone
Or sat round the family table
The only thing that ruins this time of year for me
Is that lazy ‘killjoy’ label.
I’m happy to be happy
In my non-Christmassy ordinary way
And if you can’t accept that
Then fuck off on Santa’s sleigh!

 Dulwich Poet 20th December 2017

 ( My take on Christmas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment