Tuesday 26 December 2017

"Thugs & Muggers"

This is the big one
The Boxing Day derby's here
They're right near the bottom
So this game should hold no fear.
This is the one I want to win most
More than any other game
And if they turn us over
I'll only have myself to blame.
Did I cross the road too early
Or sit on the wrong tram seat?
Wear the unlucky pair of socks
My fault if we get beat!
I don't care about Billericay
For Tamplin I don't give a toss
It will break my heart today
If we finish with a loss.
This is the one that gets me buzzing
Fills my heart with joy
The big one I always want to win
As a Dulwich fan man and boy.
I don't care if it's scrappy
If we can't string together a pass
I'll settle for a one-nil own-goal
Rebounding off someone's arse.
No need to be greedy
Though I want to crush them out of sight
A repeat of St. Paul Harding's Day*
Six one would make my night.
So come on Dulwich Hamlet
This could be our swansong before we fold
How about leaving me with a memory
For me to cherish when I get old?

Dulwich Poet 26th December 2017

(I wrote this on the way to the Dulwich Hamlet Boxing Day game away to our bitter rivals t*****g & mitcham united, AKA the thugs & muggers)

*Boxing Day 1984: Dulwich Hamlet 6, thugs & muggers 1-Paul Harding hat-trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment