Tuesday 15 January 2013

"Daily...Whenever"

It’s been a while
Since I put pen to paper
Keen as mustard
For the first few days
Then excuses
For scribbling delays.

Cogs whirring
Dormant brain cells turning
All systems go!
Be real-there are no targets
This isn’t the news on the radio
Like LBC
On the hour, every hour.
If I do that I’ll blow a fuse.

This is supposed to be
Creative writing
I think is the poncy term
Even more so than…
(Whisper it) POETRY.
It’s something I like
Want to enjoy
Not get under my skin
And start to destroy.

Does it matter if there’s ‘writers block’?
What that means I’ve no idea
So it’s not actually that
But near enough.
Glancing at the time on the clock
A notebook by my bed
Fat lot of good; that’s my wanking time!

Make a habit jot down what’s in my head
General thoughts from my memory bank
I curse myself if I don’t get it saved
Gone forever…the line I craved.
There’s nothing worse than forgetting
Write it down when I can
Surely not to hard to understand?

Is it worth getting wound up about?
Pouring fuel on my fire of self doubt
Deep breathing releasing pressure
Writing things down at my leisure.

Poetry writing should be to enjoy
Not another tool to self destroy
I must use my pen where and when
And not to beat myself up again.

Dulwich Poet-January 2013

(When I was chatting to a fellow Dulwich Hamlet supporter, at the beginning of January 2013, it crept out in conversation that he writes poetry. I said I hadn’t done so since I’d left school really, & he encouraged me to start again. He told me he tries to write one a day, which is far too ambitious for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment