Sunday 10 November 2013

"Learning The Trade"

It's far too easy
To think you're good
Something you never should.
When writing poetry as I do
Without really having a clue.
Not so bad when words flow
Easy come, easy go.
Truth is I don't know how
Good, average or poor I really am
Never mind entering a poetry slam!
Tonight I'm a punter sat on a seat
Here to listen as a treat
'Platform One' is the name of the gig
Thinking the talent here is far too big.
Kind of my cowardly dummy run
Checking out how it's done.
It's not that I can't hold my own
But deep down don't want to
Hear them all groan.
I paid my money
'Did I want to read?'
I say not tonight
(As I had no need)
Happy to sit in a corner
Pen out to write
My performance poetry
Is for another night.

Dulwich Poet 9th november 2013

(I was at the 'Platform One' monthly poetry event at the Poetry Cafe. I had my poems with me, but didn't pick anything for the open mic part, as I just wanted to listen to the two headliners, and the other open mics, to see what the standard is. They are very good, but am happy enough to know I could have done open mic here, for a few minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment