Tuesday 5 November 2013

"The Extra Minute"

Never known this here before
Such an attendance rather poor
Normally I couldn’t give a shit
But I’ve only four
 Minutes this is it!
I could sit down
And keep schtum
But I’ve never had five minutes in this room.
Absolutely no idea
What I’m trying to write
Desperately filling time tonight.
I guess I just want
To say thanks
For allowing me
To join your ranks.
No rhyme or reason
To what I scribble
But I get a buzz
If there’s a nibble.
For me I hope it’s
Only the start
Learning to write
From the heart.
Appreciate you all
Sitting there
Even if you’re bored to tears
In your chair.

Dulwich Poet 5th November 2013

( I occasionally go to the Open Mic ‘Poetry Unplugged’ night on Tuesdays, at the Poetry Café. Tonight it was Bonfire Night, and the attendance was very low. The ‘rule’ is you get a five minute slot, but if there’s more than 25 people who want to participate you get four minutes. I had prepared  for four, and had to make up this there and then, in my notebook, when I realised it would be five. I wanted my ‘moneys worth’!)

No comments:

Post a Comment