Sunday 3 August 2014

"The Wizard of Skill"

Suddenly you're dead
I didn't know your name
You were 'just' the 'Wizard of Skill'
In this big poetry game.
You were so entertaining
Bonkers unique
I can't believe you won't be
At an 'Open Mic' this week.
First time I saw you
I sat with a puzzled face
Soon changing to a grin
As you warmed up the place.
Your style was your own
As if you had nothing to lose
And if it wasn't for you
I'd never have heard of Sabrina Mahfouz.
I'm not religious...with no idea
What happens when we're gone
But the beauty of poetry
Is that your spirit lives on
We'll see you no more
But you'll always entertain
Thanks to the magic of 'You Tube'
We'll hear you again and again.
You're one of those poets
Who inspire me to write
And though we never spoke
May I now say-
Sleep well, Thank you, Good night.

Dulwich Poet 3rd August 2014

(The 'Wizard of Skill' was a poet, well known on the London 'Open-Mic' circuit. I didn't know him to talk to, but heard him quite a few times. Sadly I read that he had died, last week. I was at a poetry event on Sunday, & didn't realise there was an 'Open-Mic' bit, so I initially declined to put my name down. But I wrote this on the spot, and then read it in the 'second half'. The Sabrina Mahfouz reference was because one of his pieces was about being in love with her & her poetry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment