Wednesday 1 November 2017

"All Too Brief"

I never thought I'd feel this sad
Sitting on a train
Just spent one day with family
Don't know when I'll see them again.
They say home is where the heart is
And I feel this for sure
The welcome from practical strangers
Was emotional and more.
My namesake uncle deceased
Putting flowers on his grave
Something I genuinely wanted to do 
Not just the right way to behave.
Paying my respects
To family I never knew
Seeing my surname on headstones
Made me Hungarian too.
I'm not usually 'touchy-feely'
But did the either cheek 'kiss,kiss'
For this was my distant family
What could be more natural than this?
What's more I'm no longer a 'virgin'
By that I mean I used Skype
I doubt I'll ever use it again
Back to 'Luddite' text and type!
My cousin was translating
Explaining every word
With me lacking all Hungarian
Not knowing a dickie bird.
There she was in Manchester
Me in her Szeged home town
At first I couldn't work out what was happening
Wearing a right old puzzled frown!
I saw so many photos
Trying to picture my family tree
Fascinated by that little English kid
Was it really me?
It's so long ago
Being only four or five
But an old black and white photo in a folder
Has brought part of my childhood alive.
And who's that little child...
My dad as a little boy
Looking at a fading picture
Brings me such joy.
This is part of where I come from
Indelibly making up my past
To say I'm happy is an understatement
Coming home to Szeged at last.

Dulwich Poet 1st November 2017

(I wrote this on the train back to Budapest, from my dad's home town of Szeged, having visited the place, and my family there for the first time...at the age of 51)

No comments:

Post a Comment