Saturday 4 November 2017

"What's Magyar for Scum?"

I went to top flight football
Ujpest was their name
But after the match on Saturday
They'll never be the same.
At heart I'm an old romantic
Seventies European nights in black and white
Exotic sounding like Ujpest Dosza
Memories turned to shite.
You wouldn't have thought it was the 21st-Century
With so much monkey noise
Glad I wasn't stuck behind the goal
With the racist Ultra boys.
Not that I'd have said anything
My safety comes first
But on all my continental travels
This really was the worst.
Ujpest aren't my team
But I like to pick a side
Usually it's the home lot
But I've got some pride.
Videoton had two black players
Racism's more than taking the piss
And when Ujpest got a penalty in stoppage time
I was praying for them to miss.
My pleas to my God Edgar were answered
Unsurprising as Hegazi was his hero
The euphoria of the home scum
Plummeted to less than zero.
A great save by the keeper
A point each they'd have to share
Serves you right you racist fuckers
For polluting my football air.


Dulwich Poet 3rd November 2017

(This was about the racism at a Hungarian first division match between Ujpest and Videoton, which I went to on Saturday 28th October. My 'God Edgar' refers to Edgar Kail the great Dulwich Hamlet pre-War player, and Hegazi is the Egyptian international he would have watched playing before us, before the First World War), when he was a schoolboy)

No comments:

Post a Comment