Monday 31 March 2014

"Questions In The House"

No matter how bad I feel
Life has still thrown me
A lucky deal.
For I was in a pub tonight
South London Hardcore Quiz
Even though I'm not that bright
In the Ivy House boozer
But with my scant knowledge
A certain loser.
Orange and lemonade
My drink of choice
The fact I'm here and sober
Is reason enough to rejoice.
Almost twelve years
Off the booze
I had nothing going for me
And so little to lose.
I'm genuinely lucky
I can walk into a pub
A demon too far for many
In the A.A, sobriety club.
Having said that
I struggled at the door
A mild panic attack
As my social skills
Are so poor.
Initially sat on my own
In non-playing team of one
Pretending I was here
Just to listen to the fun.
Too scared to jump in
With people I've never met
Imaginary happy
Inside I fret.
Then in through the door
Walks a football mate
Invites me to his table
Sorry he's late.
The couple with him are friendly
We get on alright
And as things turn out
It's an enoyable night.
We don't come first
Neither do we finish last
I really should try more of this
Shaking off my past.

Dulwich Poet 31st March 2014

( A local podcast, run by two chaps I know through football, held a quiz night last night, in a community owned pub. A football mate reminded me of it the day before, but when I got there he hadn't arrived. This is about the evening, which I enjoyed, but didn't think I would)

No comments:

Post a Comment