Sunday 3 January 2016

"Judging"


Here I Am
Sat on the fifth floor
Of the Royal Festival Hall
Majestically relaxed
In a comfy settee.
One of my favourite
Spots in London.
Home of the Saison Poetry Library.
Whoever he may be…
I’m no expert you know.
Nobody knows me here.
I am just one
Stranger among many.
There are no
Twelve men and good
Here it is me
And me alone
Who is judge and jury.
Sockets by the window
For MY laptop
Stolen by YOU
Selfish old man
Head gently nodding
To the left
Moving like clockwork
Powered by
Your silent snores.
You fucking selfish old git.
It seems this
Is where
Old people come
To hibernate.
Man to the right
Trying to get through
A Jo Nesbo.
Nemesis.
His or mine?
Keeping on reading
Inbetween a bit
Of shut-eye.
We’re not the sort
For power-napping.
Drowsiness caused
By the lack of a life
And these saggingly comfy
Low leather sofas.
So far, so good.
Better than I have at home.
Which is where
I am hiding from.
Desperate to
Find tranquillity
And anonymity
From the reality
Of life within
My own four walls.
Yes, sit down
Come and join
The party…
In our heads.
Staring…
Trying not to
Silently judge
But we all are.
I can see it
In your eyes.
As the newcomer
Takes off
His homeless shoes
To rest his weary
Sockless feet.
Dumping all three
Of his meagre bags
In front of you and me.
But not before he’d rescued
His precious Sunday dinner
Of a can of Fosters
From within
To fill the void inside.
I could be wrong but…
Your green jacket
Light but practical
Complementing your sweatshirt
Adorned with the stars and stripes
With matching black
Adidas tracksuit bottoms.
Not quite clean
Though neither of
The great unwashed style…
Yet, hinting,
To me at least
That you had
Some sort of
‘Crisis at Christmas’
If you get my drift
As you drift.
But what do I know?
And what do they
Think of me?
The simple answer is…
Nothing.
Here, on floor five
Of the Festival Hall,
I am a nobody.
I blend in
So seamlessly
It is untrue.
But this is the reality.
A story of my life.
Surrounded by
What might have been
Or what is to come.
Only fate can decide.
Who am I to judge?

Dulwich Poet 3rd January 2016


( I wrote this, as I was sat down on one of the comfy armchairs on the 5th floor of the Festival Hall, just relaxing & finishing off a book, before returning it to the adjacent Poetry Library, on the same floor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment