Monday 14 July 2014

"Good Luck Sean!"

The first time I walked down those steps
At 'Unplugged'
Standing there was a host called Niall
Welcoming me with a gentle smile.
I had no idea if i'd fit in
Whether my verse should go in the bin
I thought my attempts would leave them cold
The standard was top notch, truth be told.
It went OK, so I gave it another go
Every 'Open Mic' a learn to write Poetry Show.
Ever so slowly I supposed I developed a style
And when I looked up that Sean Wei Keung seemed to smile!
You see, when I started 'Open Mic'
It all began from zero
And out of the first lot I heard
He became my poetic hero!
His looks, his style, delivery in place
I was just so relieved
I didn't have that
Dirty old man stalker face!
That's not to put down all the other readers
Not want I mean to convey-far from it
Well apart from cray Lucy Carrington
Who's not just bonkers but reads shit!
Her hero's Sir James Goldsmith
And she penned him a poem of praise
I scribbled an anti-one in response
Calling me 'aggressive'
And now won't hold my gaze!
If that's what you call criticism
I'm sure I'll manage to cope
It's the other little words and comments
That give me such hope.
Quite early on
I must have been doing something right
Because right at the end of the night
People started saying 'well done'
And one of them was my hero Sean
I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven
I wasn't just elated, but felt toally re-born!
His body oozes so much talent
Mine would fit in his little finger
I was shocked and stunned by his praise
I was desperate to linger.
I just mumbled something
About not being a 'proper poet' like him
Can't recall what he said
But in effect don't be dim...
He gave me such a boost.
I want to return the favour
Even though i don't know
If it's your flavour.
Indirectly you and your mates
Have helped make me
The poet that I am
Even if I haven't yet had the bollocks
To go for a John-Paul slam!
You've been a joy to listen to
A delight to hear
You deserve a great send-off
Showered in free beer.
I wasn't sure what to give you
As a parting gift
But as you're going to
'Ooh Argh!' East Anglia
I thought this carrot cake might give you a lift.
Sorry it's not from Waitrose
I'm not from posh Roehampton way
But it's top of the range local from the Co-Op
So I hope this Camberwell Carrot makes your day!

Dulwich Poet 14th July 2014

(Sean Wei Keung is a talented young poet, who make me very welcome when I started on the 'Open Mic scene'. He's moving to East anglia University, and this is a poem about him leaving London)

No comments:

Post a Comment