Wednesday 2 July 2014

"There's No Such Thing As A Free Read"

Last week I made a confession
During my brief five minute session.
Admitting I took books
Home to read
So in my defence
I do plead:
Don't think of me
As a thief
Getting it off my chest
Was a relief.
I could see any
'No tealeafing' sign
Browsing like a library
I thought it was fine.
I hadn't realised
The ones without
A Poetry Society sticker
Were up for sale
At only three nicker.
I was told this by our friendly host
Wearing his headmasterly frown
So humble apologies Niall
If I let you down.
As I explained last week
Most I take I return...but
Unlike Buckingham Palace celebrity poets
I haven't got money to burn.
I held my hand up
To keeping one or two
So when I got home
I knew what to do.
From top to bottom
I searched my pit
Didn't want ringmaster Niall
Thinking I was a shit.
In there were more than one or two
Total acquired came to four
So once more sorry and here's twelve quid
Subject closed before you show me the door.

Dulwich Poet 2nd July 2014

(I read a poem about taking books off of the shlef at the Poetry Cafe. Apparently you can actually buy them, which I never knew! I wrote this to read the following week, which is Tuesday July 8th)

No comments:

Post a Comment