Wednesday 23 July 2014

"Jaw-Dancing"

I want to strip off naked
Run round Shoreditch and prance
Shouting up to the rooftops
" I've just read at Jawdance"!
I thought I'd missed the cut
Signing up a little too late
They put me down as 'first reserve'
Moment handed to me on a plate.
But I wasn't expecting that moment
When the compere called me from the floor
I wasn't ready for anything
Almost sneaking out of the door.
I panicked hunting my poem
As she said my name again
I screamed it was in my bag
Desperate for three minutes of 'fame'.
Walking around with a load of shit
Carried over my shoulder
Thought I was going to miss out
Anger beginning to smoulder.
She saw I was in a state
So let the next bloke go on in front
Giving me the chance to calm myself
Instead of being a total cunt.
Jawdance is a top night
Run by Apple & Snakes
I wasn't sure if I'd be good enough
But know I know I've got what it takes.
Accepted on the 'poetry circuit'
Even if it's 'only' 'Open Mike'
Actually making friends-talking to people
What's there not to fucking like?
Truth be told I can't believe
How much I'm having fun
Never thuoght I'd love this so much
As I've only got the one 'O' Level
When all is said and done.
But you don't have to be educated
If you read and write from the heart
Me and those Uni boys and girls
We're not that far apart.

Dulwich Poet 23rd July 2014

( I wrote this on the train home, having just read for the first time, a 3 minute Open Mic slot, at the extermely popular & quality Jawdance monthly poetry event in Shoreditch. I got there just too late to sign up, but was told I could be 'first reserve', if they had space. I was called up for a slot near theend, and couldn't pint my bit of paper in my bag. Fortunately the woman compere gave me 'breathing space' and let me go on after the next bloke, giving me time to calm myself. I mentioned to another performer, who I was talking to afterwards, that I write lots of stuff, but only ever read, maybe, 10% of what I write. This poem is a prime example of stuff I scribble down but would never perform... )

No comments:

Post a Comment