Wednesday 4 September 2013

"Four Minutes of Fame"

A pound a minute's what I spent
To stand up and be a fool
Now sitting on the train back home
Realising poetry's fucking cool!
Open mic for the night
Stepping up a notch
Shitting myself about stage fright
While glancing at the ticking watch.
I wasn't great, but not bad
Think I'm past the test
Hoping this isn't a passing fad
Am as good as some of the rest.
There's some amazing poets out there
Full of substance and style
My vocabulary's a little bare
But I can still make them smile.
I'm not the best, nor the worst
Probably inbetween
A working class poet not the first
Certainly the most green.
One thing's for sure I'll read some more
Am certainly going to return
Even if they decide I'm a bore
Off others I can learn.

Dulwich Poet 3rd September 2013

( I read three poems at the 'Poetry Unplugged' open mic session, in Covent Garden. In theory, well they did, people actually paid to hear me read!)

No comments:

Post a Comment