Friday 6 September 2013

"Free Ticket To Ride"

There can't be a worse thing to do
Than feel you've been robbed
On the choo-choo.
Those moments outside
Your Travelcard zone
Barriers open as you go home.
But that's not what pisses me off most
It's when ticket collectors vanish
Like a mystery ghost.
Absent guards on the train
Feels like money
Down the drain.
Don't get me wrong
I'm not the fare doging sort
But my hard earned's wasted
If I can't be caught.
When the gates are shut
I don't begrudge a pound
It's the punch in the gut
When there's no "Tickets please!" sound.
Missing the chance to be naughty
Even though I'm way past forty
Perhaps I've just realised that
Being so middle aged and fat
At my stage of life it's way too late
To be able to jump the gate!

Dulwich Poet 5th September 2013

(Very few stations nowadays are unstaffed, or don't have barrier gates. It really annoyss me the times when my ticket is not checked, and the gates are open, so you can walk through, & it feels like you've wasted your money buying it a ticket.)

No comments:

Post a Comment