Sunday 8 September 2013

"Oh Dear, Sister..."

Take off your blinkers
And listen to what you say
Can't believe you have to ask
If I really am gay!
I accept I'm not the stereotype queer
But why now when you're full of beer?
Don't get me wrong
She's not full of hate
But I had to ask back
If she's really straight.
Should've asked her husband
To drop his strides
Would have what I meant
By proper gay pride!
She wittered on about when we were small
And I can't understand her at all
What imaginary bubble did she grow up in?
Bad childhood throughts in a memory bin
Was it all hunky dory sweet
Would she believe all my demons
If I dumped them at her feet?
She wouldn't want illusions shattered
If it was the truth that mattered.
Best not to uncork what you can't change
Your happy childhood is so strange
If only I could pick and choose
Wish I was in your shoes
Having lovely memories in my mind
Nothing nasty, innocent and kind.
If it's the truth you want me to give
I grew up feeling a worthless div.
And that continues to this day
But what can you expect
If my own fucking sister
Won't believe I'm gay!

Dulwich Poet 8th September 2013

(I was at a small family party, and my slightly older sister, drunkenly asked me if I was really gay, and was surprised when me & my other sister said we didn't exactly have a wonderful childhood..)

No comments:

Post a Comment