Friday 22 February 2013

"Empty Basket Case"

Being a single person
Make that the original
Billy-No-Mates
I do love a bargain
Not just ‘pikey corner’
Battling for knockdown this and that
Alongside the granny in her woolly hat.
But a proper half-price
Cut down the middle nice
Not your two for one deal
When you only want a simple meal.
So, Mr. Morrison,
The no nonsense northern grocerman:
I so wanted to become a fan
I saw your advert in the paper
Four tins of baked beans
For one pound forty nine
I wanted some of that to be mine
Similar deal for tomato soup
So it’s off to Peckham
That I troop.

These deals are done not to be kind
Emptying my wallet is in your mind
Special offer tins & good chance
That I’ll put more in my basket
Than I bargained for
Once enticed through your door.
Ker-ching! Mr. Morrison.
Walking along the aisles
Serious shoppers lacking smiles
In and out as quick as poss
Trolley pushers don’t give a toss.
Quickly grabbing what you need
A cheap as you can frenzied feed.

Even I’m sucked in by it all
Picking up apples and tangerines
My ‘halfway alternative’ to horrid greens
Not forgetting a box of eggs
Even though it’s cheaper at Lidl
Thought I’d meet you in the middle.

So far, so good
Time to pay
Look at the queues..
NO WAY!
Twenty deep in EACH row
I’m go to leave and go!

You can price your food  as cheap as you like
But I’m not waiting half the night.
Bollocks to that I’m not so thick
To be reeled in by your advertising trick
If you care about the shopper
Then sort it out
Or become a cropper.
Tonight your plan has backfired
Not enough workers have been hired.
Stop cutting costs & hire some staff
If you want my custom
You’re having a laugh!

Dulwich Poet-22nd February 2013

(I went to the Morrisons supermarket, in Peckham, taking a detour on the way home, based on the fact they had a big advertising campaign in national papers offering half price baked beans & tomato soup. The shop was so packed, with lots of unstaffed checkouts, that it would have taken me at least half an hour to get served! I left my basket of ‘shopping’ on the floor, in the middle of an aisle & walked out in disgust)

No comments:

Post a Comment