Wednesday 20 February 2013

"My Left Foot"

The things you take for granted
Main one being
Your health
Overweight
Diabetic
Not to mention your
Run of the mill garden gnome
Sore throats & colds.
The list is there.
And now add gammy foot
Big toe to be precise.

The last two years have not been nice
So my simple advice
To anyone………is
Don’t be a prat like me
Go to see your doctor!
What is it with us blokes?
Putting it off
Out of sight, out of mind
Never minding the pain
And the gunk, not to mention…
(blood)
Oozing out of the bottom
Of my big toe
Each and every day
As for the pain
Just grit your teeth
The one’s I have left.
It hurt…agony…
With each step on the pavement
The train, the floor
As I go out the door
No pain, no gain!
As the saying goes.
Bullshit!

Should’ve gone to quacks at least
A year before I did.
Another  ancient one says
There’s no fool like an old fool.
It was healing
Healed I thought.
Now it’s back
Like a bad dream
Not a nightmare
I’m not that scared yet
I ‘m lucky only a small
Ulcer. Be lucky
I want to be an optimist
But that’s not me
If it doesn’t get better
I’m scared to talk
Petrified of not being
Able to walk

All I can do is put my trust
In medication.
Metformin, Ramipril
& now added Flucloxacillin!
This time next year
I might not be a millionaire
But I should be able to open
My own little chemist shop.

Dulwich Poet-20th February 2013

(In the summer of 2012 I had a very bad foot infection, an ulcer on the bottom of my big toe, on my left foot. I was hospitalised for a while, & off work for over two months. I had negelcted to see a doctor for nearly two years, as it go worse. It was healing, but has recently  started to open up again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment