Sunday 10 February 2013

"Seventies Boy"

Remember…
That spaceship in the big silver square
Sitting on the bench in the barbers chair
Wearing proper shorts going to school
And always being thought of a fool

Remember…
The huge old terrace & kicking up dust
Mum’s bread & butter pudding with all the crust
Dad’s home made goulash burning my throat
Getting the Woolwich Ferry just to go on a boat

Remember…
Going away to camp with the cubs
Hours with drunk dad stuck outside his pubs
Bonfire nights at the back of the flats
Setting fire to the chute to scare the rats

Remember…
Stamping your feet at the front of the bus
Thinking you’re grown-up learning to cuss
My wellie’s melting on our portable heater
Breaking in next door to rob their meter

Remember…
Kiss chase in the playground annoying the girls
Being a pansy but not wanting their curls
Woolies pick & mix going to steal
Sleepovers at mates…desparate to cop a feel



Remember…
Ruskin Park rocking horse crushing my teeth
Getting battered by my old man for being a thief
Pulling down the Christmas Tree with my Tonka toy truck
Envying my big brother for his football rucks

Remember…
Secretly playing with yourself in the confessional box
Priests probably doing the same in their holy frocks
Shooting your spunk for the very first time
Imagining death for a mortal crime!

Remember…
Sneaking glances at PE to see who had hair on their willie
Seeing girls knickers pretending to laugh silly
Bunking church to go down the park instead
Using collection money for sweets to be fed

Remember…
Going to Santa & the Oxford Street lights
When it was still magical on December nights
Magnificent half term days on a Red Bus Rover
And that trip to Boulogne from the White Cliffs of Dover

So many things to recall, so long ago
But the harshest truth if you want to know
My childhood was poor and I felt alone
Real happy moments cut to the bone.



The thing though that I remember
MOST OF ALL
Being taken into the changing rooms
Following Dulwich Hamlet Reserves
By my Sunday School Teacher
Who played for the team
With my autograph book
For my giant heroes to sign
I was a boy of eight or nine
And that really was my first time
Seeing grown up cocks all laid bare
Flaccid but huge covered in hair
The moment I realised why I hated kiss chase
And all my strange feelings fell into place.

Dulwich Poet-February 2013

(I read a poem called ‘I Remember’ by Tim Wells, in an anthology of his I borrowed, from the Poetry Library, based in the Royal Festival Hall. That is where I got the idea for ‘Seventies Boy’ from)

No comments:

Post a Comment