Thursday 21 February 2013

"Frighteners"

 I’m not at school anymore
So why avoid
The doctor’s door?
Is it really that
INTIMIDATING?
Talking down, admonishing
At me, you fool.
Astonishing!
As if a naughty schoolboy.
Not wanting to face facts
Too scared to be told off
Good grief, man!
Pull yourself together.
You’re in your forties
Not 14 and three quarters!

But it’s my fault
No less than I deserve.
Just been punished
For all the things
I’ve ever done wrong.
Serves me right.
All this shit is in my head
Sometimes I wish I was dead
Lonely, friendless, frightened
Hemmed in by four walls
Penned in by my squalor
Even though I’m not mentally ill
I wish I was a bit worse
To fit that bill;
Only qualifying for ‘Loony Lite’
Resigned to a lifetime
Full of shite.
Lots of debt, short of money
Life’s never going to be
That pot of honey.
Day by day I try to cope
Grasping at that sliver of hope.

Dulwich Poet-21st February 2013

(In the summer of 2012 I had a very bad foot infection, an ulcer on the bottom of my big toe, on my left foot. I was hospitalised for a while, & off work for over two months. I had negelcted to see a doctor for nearly two years, as it go worse. It was healing, but has recently  started to open up again. This poem refers to me not going to see the docotr in the first place)

No comments:

Post a Comment