Tuesday 27 March 2018

"Doble Decker Rolls Royce"

How can you complain
At less than thirty quid return
Coach travel abroad's perfect
If you ain't got money to burn.
The seat's just as comfy
If I'd gone by Eurostar
And unlike heading out to Stanstead Airport
Victoria Coach Station's not too far.
Granted it was busy
When I was outward bound
Russian roulette to get a single double
But sharing I still slept sound.
Homeward back to Blighty
Daytime seats empty galore
It might take eight hours in total
But you can't ask for more.
Plenty of space to stretch out
Food and drink from Lidl
Even the toilet on the bus was clean
When I went for a Jimmy riddle.
Coach travel's perceived as nasty
For the great unwashed and the poor
Well I'm only guilty of one of the two
And if that's your view you're a bore.
I bet you baulk at going on a bus
Never mind a rush-hour train
To be honest I don't want to sit with you
Your loss is my gain.
These coaches are full of ordinary people
Simple going from A to B
Making European travel affordable
For the budget conscious like me.

Dulwich Poet 27th March 2018

(I wrote this on the coach from Brussels to London)

No comments:

Post a Comment