Tuesday 27 March 2018

"Keeping It Real"

I'm not one of those poets
Who wander lonely as a cloud
I'm simply write abut this, that and everything
Working class and proud.
I don't use too many sylables
Nor for fancy words do I care
And I'm not bothered if I upset you
When I decide to swear.
It stems from where I come from
And where I grew up
An East Dulwich council estate
And I don't give a flying fuck.
Poetry's not just for the posh ones
Bastion of the middle class
To be honest the most so-called educated
Are talking out of their arse.
I'm sure what I write down
Ain't always your cup of Rosy Lea
But that works both ways
As far as I can see.
Some of the stuff I hear
Goes right over my head
You probably think the same of mine
I'm sure it can be said.
I get a buzz of excitement
I almost want to cheer
Whenever a poet opens their mouth 
And it's a working class accent I hear.
Poetry's for everyone
But we're scared off at school
The ill-conceived perception
That it's only for the nerdy fool.
I was in my late forties
When I was encouraged to pick up a pen
I've now been writing for five years
And won't put it down again.
Power to the people
Don't be a fool
Just take my word for it
Poetry's a strong working class tool.
The more I hear from my background
The more I feel strong
So dust down that old school notebook
And join the working class poetry throng!

Dulwich Poet 27th March 2018

(This one is basically about being a working class poet, and the misconceptions I find about poetry out there...)

No comments:

Post a Comment