Tuesday 27 March 2018

"They're Just There..."

Trees are not for hugging
Trees are there to climb
To grow things like apples
Anything else is a crime.
Apart from chopping down for wood
Surely that's not bad
Or making space for houses
And anything else that can be had.
One type that should be protected
Are the ones for conkers
If you're still allowed to play that game
Under health and safety bonkers.
When I was a kid I used to go up
Maybe a bit too far
Seeing how far I could reach
Aiming for a star.
I'd sit up there for hours
All on my own
Blocking out my little world
In my private zone.
In truth I'm not a nature lover
A tree's a tree to me
And if some get chopped down 
That's ok to me.
Something to do with the ozone layer
Scientific explanations like that
Well I think the planet's already fucked
So I'm not interested in your chat.
I like them in the autumn
Kicking leaves in the park
And they can be quite good for cruising in
On Hampstead Heath after dark.
Truth be told I don't care about the planet
Even though I recycle a bit
Because once I'm brown bread and long gone
I won't be here to give a shit.

Dulwich Poet 27th March 2018

At heart I am not a nature lover, or a 'greenie'. I saw a comment about some people somewhere battling to save trees. And this poem about trees followed...)

No comments:

Post a Comment