Tuesday 27 March 2018

"Farewell My Friends"

Sat in the heart of European Brussels
It might be your idea of hell
But thanks to Farage & Boris
I'm here to say farewell.
The next time I come to this city
I'll be on the outside looking in
Even though I voted to stay
Our membership's in the bin.
Pandering to racism and gullibility
Did you vote to keep the NHS strong
It's now too late to change your mind
Realising you're wrong.
Some might say there's a leave argument
From left wingers sound of mind
I agree on most other things
But on this I think you're blind.
Better to change from within
No matter what your cause
Than shouting from outside
Not heard behind locked doors.
I'm not a master politician
Just an old skool leftie bloke
When Brexit claimed their victory
I thought it was a bad joke.
In all honesty it doesn't matter
Except how many Euros I get to my pound
Anything else that happens
It'll have no effect I've found.
Prices will go up
But I will still be poor
Hopefully most of the rights we've gained
Will stay from European law.
I'm still holding out in hope
That we have a referendum mark two
When enough people will see the error of their ways
And know what they have to do.

Dulwich Poet 27th March 2018

(I wrote this while sitting outside the European Parliament in Brussels, it's a sort of Remain poem, but not political by my standards)

No comments:

Post a Comment