Tuesday 3 June 2014

"Aeroplanes"

They lull you
Into a false sense
Of security.
On the way out
No worse than
A train ride
A little bumpy
Over the points
Without the clunk.
Homeward bound
Not a sound
Until...
Prepare for landing!
Almost at Luton
Which is when
The flight
Becomes as shit
As our destination.
This is the reason
I don't go
On fairground rides.
I'm a coward at heart
The slightest turbulence
Makes me grip
The side of my seat
So it's somewhat
Embarrassing
That as the other
Passengers
Let out a collective
"Ooh!"
I'm just glad
That back at the terminal
I'd had a poo,
Only proverbially screaming
"FUCK!"
And involuntarily
Grabbing the arm
Of the understanding
And laughing
Young German man
Sat next to me.
As he gently
Rubbed my arm
Telling me everything
Was going to be ok.
I don't think
His girlfriend
By the window
Was quite as
Sympathetic.

Dulwich Poet 3rd June 2014

(I don't really like flying, but hide it quite well. Then we hit some rough turbulence coming in to land, at Luton Airport...)

No comments:

Post a Comment