Tuesday 10 June 2014

"Papers"

As if I haven't got
Enough crap in my life
Without getting a train
Just before rush-hour
With my eyes darting
Senses ducking and diving
Desperate to hunt down
A third or fourth hand copy
Of this morning's 'Metro'.
It's not as if
I've got nothing to read
Or have a particularly
Desperate need
For their dumbed down precis
Of all that occured yesterday.
I've looked at Facebook already
And know that
The Young One
Isn't going to get old
And that he was
A mere
Nine years younger
Than me!
Now I have that feeling
That my own end is near
That hunt for
An old newspaper
Doesn't feel so
Important after all.

Dulwich Poet 10th June 2014

(I always try to find a discarded copy of the free morning paper the 'Metro' if I haven't got a 'clean' one in the morning. Today the main news story was the death of comedian Rik Mayall, who was only 56.)

No comments:

Post a Comment