Monday 9 June 2014

"Rubbish Karma"

Such a simple request
'Could I get on your bus?
My ticket's for the half ten.."
Wasn't making a fuss.
His bus was almost empty
It wouldn't have hurt a soul
But no, he was a Jock jobsworth
Leaving me at the bus station hole.
Instead I tramped the streets
An hour to kill
The Co-Op ended up the beneficiary
As I spent at their till.
Now although I was polite
And took it on the chin
I've got to confess
I was seething within.
It would have cost nothing
For that driver to be nice
Time for 'corporate revenge'
I didn't think twice.
My bus back to Edinburgh
Was going to be a mess
A ton of rubbish under my seat
A bit childish I confess.
Empty Pepsi cans
Squashed so they don't roll
Add empty packets and papers
And I've achieved my goal.
A 'statement' made
Against a 'corporate decision'
One you might condemn
With snorts of derision
For the fact of the matter was
Though the driver was right
Doing as he was instructed
By the big company might
It's not as if I could send
A snotty complaining letter
So I used the 'make a mess' alternative
To make me feel better!

Dulwich Poet 9th June 2014

(On Saturday night I had a pre-booked non-transferable cheap ticket for the 10.30pm bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I was there just over an hour early, but the driver of the almost empty half nine service wouldn't 'bend the rules' and let me on. I was winding myself a little, so got my 'revenge' by dropping lots of litter on the service I took, to 'get my own back' and calm myself down. It punished nobody, made a bit more work for the cleaners, and didn't affect the drivers, but it calmed me down, so in that sense my 'protest' worked!)

No comments:

Post a Comment