Sunday 15 June 2014

"Write On..."

So what is poetry?
Can I write?
Well I do it for me
Even if it's shite.
Occasionally I have a mare
And totally bomb
Generally I blag through
With some aplomb.
One I read last night
I was told 'worked really well'
Which is kinda nice
But how can I tell?
I don't like repetition
Which is a bit of a curse
Having a working-class vocabulary
Sort of stifles my verse.
But at least I do my best
Speak from the heart
Which I'd rather do
Than learn to be an arty fart!
Seems like the others
Don't think this way
Based on the bits of praise
I got yesterday.
Starting to make friends
On the poetry circuit
Well, maybe just an aquaintance
Still nice when I work it.
Part of me is surprised
Because they're all so good
It's down to believing in myself
Which I really should.
Poetry's about...
Working hard and learning
Truth be told....
It's been a hidden yearning.
My biggest problem is
Reading too much in things
Just need to keep on scribbling
For the self-confidence it brings.
And most importantly
I'm a poet to keep sane
If other people like it
That's an unexpected gain.

Dulwich Poet 15th June 2014

(i got some nice 'feedback' from other poets, & even one of the headliners, at an 'open mic' yesterday. A couple a people mentioned in their 'open mic' readings what poetry meant to them. This is, sort of, my response to that)

No comments:

Post a Comment