Tuesday 19 March 2013

"Cuddles"

I woke up with a monkey on my chest
My arms cradled round as if human
Right close up like I was a zooman.
This one was cuddly
And had a Disney tag
Stuck to its arse.
I know it's a boy
Even if it's a toy
Because HIS name is Tracy
And it would be strange if I slept with HER.
It WAS Tracy who gave
Me my monkey.
I was always so lonely
And she told me
It's nice to cuddle something
When you have nobody at all.
Does that sound hurtful?
Or harsh?
In fact it was one...if not THE
Sweetest thing that
Has ever happened to me.
Which is why HE
Is called after SHE.

Dulwich Poet 18th March 2013

(A good few years ago now, a woman I know, & the only one I know who I am proud to call my 'girly friend' gave me a cuddly toy. I still have it, & hug it. She is married & I was proud to be invited to the ceremony last year)

No comments:

Post a Comment