Monday 18 March 2013

"Football Snapshot"

Unique.One in each corner
But I'm not here for the pubs
Another ground facing the demolition ball
Soon nothing to be here at all.
Of consequence.
Flats. Houses. Or a B & Q.
Totally irrelevant.
But does it matter
As long as it pays for a new ground?
Progress.Time to move on from
History. Memories.
Tears and cheers.
Consigned to the dustbin
In boring old farts minds
Most blurred & lost
Under a tsunami of beers.
It's not my club
Probably not yours
But we're united in one cause
Every ground I've been to
Is what makes me be me
In the fixture list of life
From Griffin Park today
To shrines like Wem-Ber-Lee.
Moments to cherish
Before I perish
As my dreams tend to do.
Like losing at Hythe yesterday.
I was stuck at work
So Chelsea Juventus kids was my perk
Can't survive without
My football fix
Added bonus of snapping
A new set of ground pics.
No need to raise a glass
Of the old black stuff
Just sat in this stand
Makes me high enough
Football grounds is my strange bent
Simply buzzing at Brentford
Where I went.


Dulwich Poet 17th March 2013

(Today is St. Patrick's Day, when a crazy amount of English people pretend to be Irish & drink large amounts of Guinness. I went to Chelsea under 19's 4, Juventus 1, in the NextGen Series quarter finals, played at Brentford's ground)

No comments:

Post a Comment